New Zealand, Bangladesh cricket Test cancelled after mosque attacks

New Zealand, Bangladesh cricket Test cancelled after mosque attacks

The players were kept on the bus by police, then later allowed to leave and to walk to nearby Hagley Oval, where they'd been scheduled to begin the third cricket test against New Zealand on Saturday.

We come across the global matches being cancelled on rare occasions.

Team manager Khaled Mashud said the 17 players and support staff who went in a bus to the mosque were safe, but said they could easily have been caught up in the shooting.

The match, which was due to start on Saturday, was cancelled and the Bangladesh squad flew home. He said the incident has left the players shaken and clearly traumatized.

"This is shocking. This will change the entire fabric of global sports hosting", he said.

"We'll demand proper security wherever our team goes in future". They lost their one-day worldwide series 3-0 and have also lost the three-Test series after New Zealand claimed victory in the opening two matches.

"The worst part was we were watching all those things happening live, so it was very scary", said Tamim. We were maximum 50 yards (45 metres) away. Had we reached even three or four minutes earlier, we probably would have been inside the mosque.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed that the suspect was an Australian citizen, describing him as an "extremist, right-wing terrorist".




In the aftermath, the country's threat level was raised from low to high, police warned Muslims against going to a mosque anywhere in New Zealand, and the national airline cancelled several flights in and out of Christchurch, a city of almost 400,000.

"We could see bloodstained people staggering out of the mosque. We fully respect their decision, and I am incredibly proud of how they conducted themselves throughout this process".

New Zealand Cricket made the announcement through their official Twitter handle. "I just hope after returning home we can overcome it (trauma) with the passing of time".

The Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA), a body which acts on behalf of players, said in a statement: "FICA, on behalf of its members and cricketers around the world, sends its prayers and sympathies to the people of Christchurch following today's horrendous attacks".

"It was very scary, it will take time to get over it, but what can you do - just pray for the victims that have lost their lives, and pray for their families".

Bangladesh opener Tamim Iqbal took to his personal Twitter account to share his experience.

Before Friday's attack, New Zealand's deadliest shooting in modern history took place in 1990 in the small town of Aramoana, where a gunman killed 13 people following a dispute with a neighbour.

Cricket teams have previously abandoned tours because of violent attacks but most had been in South Asia, including Bangladesh which Australia decided against touring in 2015 because of security fears. The players and management travelled from their central city hotel to Christchurch Airport in the team bus under police escort.

Related Articles