N.Korea May Ready Rocket Launch, Blames U.S. for Summit Flop

N.Korea May Ready Rocket Launch, Blames U.S. for Summit Flop

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump meeting in Hanoi, Vietnam, on February 28 during a summit that ended in failure.

The Republican president's comments come after a second summit between him and Kim collapsed last week over differences on USA demands for denuclearization and North Korea's demand for sanctions relief.

"The public at home and overseas that had hoped for success and good results from the second. summit in Hanoi are feeling regretful, blaming the United States for the summit that ended without an agreement", its Rodong Sinmun newspaper said.

Mr Kim had agreed to shutter the Sohae Satellite Launching Station at a summit with the South's President Moon Jae-in in Pyongyang as part of confidence-building measures.

US President Donald Trump says he's disappointed about reports of recent activity at missile and rocket sites in North Korea. But the documentary didn't mention about the lack of an agreement following the Kim-Trump summit.

The news comes at a hard time for the Trump administration, which is already frustrated by the lack of progress on negotiations with the North, following the collapse of the second Trump-Kim summit in Vietnam's capital.

According to senior USA officials, in the week leading up to the Hanoi summit, the North Koreans had demanded the lifting of effectively all UN Security Council economic sanctions imposed since March 2016.

"In order for our North Korean counterparts to have more latitude, it's clear they are going to have to get direction and space from the top".

Earlier this week North Korea sparked outrage after satellite images revealed the nation was "rapidly rebuilding" its Sohae Launch Facility, a long-range missile launch site. "In all cases, the expectation is a complete denuclearization of North Korea as a condition for all the other steps being - all the other steps being taken".




The US State Department has declined to comment.

Meanwhile, 38 North, a website specializing in North Korea studies, said commercial satellite imagery indicates the rebuilding started between February 16 and March 2.

Trump said he would be "very, very disappointed" with Kim if the reports are true.

"He said there is no evidence that North Korea's work at the site signals Kim is preparing to test another intercontinental missile".

Speaking on Tuesday, Mr Bolton on Tuesday warned North Korea could be subjected to even tougher sanctions if the country failed to give up its nuclear weapons program.

Meanwhile, a US -based think tank has said it appears the North is rebuilding its ballistic missile test facility, which it had partially dismantled.

Analysts say that Kim Jong Un had a lot invested in the summits, and didn't want to be seen as failing in the immediate wake of the summit. "We also have to be careful not to scare away our allies".

"Our map data shows the locations of mines across North Korea, and we also detected soundwaves, proving that this quake was caused by an explosion, " he said.

Related Articles