McIlroy backing Woods to pounce back

McIlroy backing Woods to pounce back

Jason Day played just six holes of golf before withdrawing with a back injury in his first round of the 2019 Arnold Palmer Invitational on Thursday. Woods says he's had the neck strain for a few weeks and it hasn't improved with treatment to the point he feels he can play.

Former world No. 1 Tiger Woods withdrew from this week's Arnold Palmer Invitational on Monday, March 4 after failing to shake off a neck strain.

Woods, ranked 12th in the world, played a full schedule past year for the first time since 2015, which came after the first of what would turn out to be four back procedures.

Meanwhile, Marc Leishman, the 2017 Arnold Palmer Invitational victor, believes Woods would have certainly played this weekend if he was able.




As part of the statement, Woods said, "my lower back is fine, and I have no long-term concerns, and I hope to be ready for The Players".

He continued in a follow-up tweet: "I'd like to send my regrets to the Palmer family and the Orlando fans. It's connection to Arnold makes it one of my favourite tournaments and I'm disappointed to miss it". This injury means that he'll have only four possible events in which to play before heading to Augusta National on April 11. He finished tied for 10th at 8-under par.

Tiger won last year's Tour Championship for his 80th PGA Tour title.

Woods has not withdrawn from an event for two years and has been in the top 20 in all of his three events this year.

Related Articles