Stranded Amtrak train with 183 passengers is moving again

Stranded Amtrak train with 183 passengers is moving again

An Amtrak train traveling from Seattle to Los Angeles with 183 passengers got stranded in the snowy mountains of OR for at least 36 hours, putting a strain on passengers as food, patience and even diapers ran short. There were no injuries to the 183 passengers on board or crew members (a dozen).

After record snow slammed OR, nearly 200 people remain trapped on a train that came to a sudden stop Sunday evening south of Eugene. Railroad officials chose to keep the passengers onboard instead of letting them scatter in a town dealing with its own problems - a blackout, snow and debris-covered roads.

"Conditions further deteriorated with numerous track blockages from snow and fallen trees", Amtrak said.

"We have NOT MOVED for 30 straight hours", Dodson wrote on Facebook.

Amtrak train bound for Los Angeles collided with a tree on tracks near Oakridge, Oregon; Dan Springer reports from Seattle.

Oakridge averages 1.1 inches of snow in February, according to the National Weather Service, but by Tuesday morning, they experienced over a foot.

But Dodson said some of the passengers had found company in their misery.

Passengers said Tuesday morning that they were looking forward to getting off the train after being stranded for 36 hours.

According to a statement Aktrak provided to KHQ-TV, there were no injuries on board and the company was "actively working with Union Pacific to clear the right of way and get passengers off the train".

Eugene is snowed in as well, and riders will not be able to connect with buses or other mass transportation there, she said.

The Coast Starlight left Seattle for Los Angeles on Sunday but hit a fallen tree Sunday night in the mountains outside Eugene, Oregon.

An Amtrak train has been stuck on the tracks for the past three days in Oakridge, Oregon.

By Tuesday morning, at least 30cm had accumulated, the weather service said.

Late Monday night, Amtrak said on Twitter that passengers on board the train were not being charged for food or water.

However, those few hours stretched into almost two days, as inclement weather complicated efforts to clear the tracks of snow and get an alternate engine to tow the train away.

Officials decided that the train was the safest place for passengers to stay because it had food, heat electricity and functioning toilets, Naparstek said.

"It's just been like a giant kumbaya party", Dodson told CNN early Tuesday.

"A lot of the [older] kids have been really good but they're having to run up and down and it's a lot".

Related Articles