Teacher's Pet podcast Chris Dawson arrested over death of his wife Lyn

Teacher's Pet podcast Chris Dawson arrested over death of his wife Lyn

Mr Dawson, 70, was arrested at Biggera Waters by detectives from Queensland Police Service's Homicide Squad.

Queensland Police said Mr Dawson's extradition to NSW was unlikely to take place on Wednesday because of continuing negotiations with the commercial airlines over security arrangements.

More than 27 million people have listened to The Teacher's Pet produced by The Australian-which hit No. 1 in the US, Canada, and the UK-since it began in May exploring Lynette Dawson's 1982 murder, reports the BBC.

The husband of Sydney mother Lynette Dawson, who disappeared nearly 40 years ago, has been charged with her murder.

An inquest in 2003 found that Chris Dawson, a former high school teacher, had started an affair with a 16-year-old student who moved in with him within days of his wife's disappearance.

NSW police commissioner Mick Fuller said Lynette Dawson's family were relieved.

Fuller said authorities have not located Dawson's body, and that finding her remains is "not crucial to finalising the matter", but maintained "we certainly won't give up on that search".

Police arrested Mr Dawson in Queensland and said he would be extradited to NSW.

While appearing at Southport Magistrates Court on Wednesday afternoon, he sat quietly looking at the floor, trembling at times with his shirt visibly shaking as he breathed.

Following extensive investigations, detectives requested the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions review their brief of evidence in April this year.

Ms Dawson's disappearance has been the subject of a popular podcast
Image Lynette Dawson's disappearance has been the subject of a popular podcast

Mr Dawson's family released a statement yesterday, insisting he would be found not guilty. Once he returns to NSW he will be formally interviewed by police, and is expected to be charged with her murder.

Paul Dawson applied for bail, promising to drive himself to Sydney for the court appearance.

The duty lawyer told the court he was willing to surrender his passport and live with a brother in NSW.

In 2015, NSW homicide detectives established Strike Force Scriven to re-investigate the circumstances surrounding Lynette Dawson's disappearance and suspected murder.

"We've been waiting for 36 years for something like this to happen", Ms Dawson's niece Renee Simms told Ten Network on Wednesday. We have solved homicide before without identifying the body.

Detectives in September dug up the backyard at the Bayview home the couple shared in the early 1980s but did not find remains or items of interest.

"We are disappointed at the decision of the DPP as there is clear and uncontested evidence that Lyn Dawson was alive long after she left Chris and his daughters", brother Peter Dawson said, according to the Seven Network.

He said two witness statements in particular helped piece the evidence together.

"For it to finally happen it nearly doesn't seem real yet to me".

Related Articles