Vehicle on fire after crashing into Melbourne's Bourke St Mall

Vehicle on fire after crashing into Melbourne's Bourke St Mall

The officers were seen trying for at least a minute to detain the man peaceably as his attacks on them continued before one office shot him with a weapon.

Officers said they were initially called to a auto fire around 4:20pm (AEDT).

As police officers reached the scene they were confronted by a knife-wielding man who tried to attack them.

Police said there was no terrorism link at this stage but they are "keeping an open mind".

Further details are unclear however video posted to Twitter and broadcast on television showed a man repeatedly swinging an object at two police officers.

Three people have been stabbed, unfortunately one of them is deceased at the scene.

"One person has been taken to hospital with a neck injury". Condition not yet known.

One of the victims has died, while the others have been taken to hospital.

It was too early to say if the incident was terror-related, they said.

The exact circumstances are yet to be determined at this stage.

More than 100 police have swarmed on the area.

"This is Victoria Police, please evacuate the area".

The street where the auto caught fire was the scene in January 2017 of a fatal but not terror-related incident in which a man drove his vehicle at pedestrians at high speed, killing six people and wounding about 30. Meanwhile, a auto can be seen blazing on the side of the pavement at the scene.

Twitter user Meegan May wrote: "Guy seems to have set his auto on fire, then attacked police with a knife".

Markel Villasin, 22, was finishing his shift at KFC on Bourke St as the drama unfolded.

"Me and the managers ran out and that's when we saw the vehicle on fire and then we saw the guy on the floor and we wanted to help, there were two blokes helping him out already, he was face down pools of blood around his face", he told AAP.

Police warned people to avoid the area and dispatched the bomb squad to secure the area and examine the burning auto.

"I didn't know what was happening there was just so much chaos and screaming".

The police and State Premier Daniel Andrews asked people to avoid the area.

The apparent attack came as a 28-year-old James Gargasoulas underwent trial in Melbourne for driving into a crowd in the same area in 2017, killing six people.

Related Articles