Saudi Arabia Confirms Jamal Khashoggi’s Death, Calling It ‘Huge and Grave Mistake’

Saudi Arabia Confirms Jamal Khashoggi’s Death, Calling It ‘Huge and Grave Mistake’

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir earlier said that the death of Khashoggi was the result of a "rogue operation" by people acting beyond the scope of their authority.

"They made the mistake when they killed Jamal Khashoggi in the consulate and they tried to cover up for it", he said.

The European Union says the emerging details of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's death are "deeply troubling" and that a "continued thorough, credible and transparent investigation" is needed.

Saudi officials originally said Khashoggi, who stepped inside the doors of the diplomatic mission on October 2, had left unharmed, before announcing he was killed inside the building in what they described as an altercation.

"I agree with all those who say when it comes to our already limited arms exports [to Saudi Arabia] that they can not take place in the current situation", Merkel said, according to AFP.

Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that he will make statements about the murdered journalist during his party's parliamentary group meeting on Tuesday.

Saudi Arabia has no intention of using its oil wealth as a political tool in the controversy over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, and the kingdom plans to boost crude output again soon.

A Saudi friend of Khashoggi who was in frequent touch with him before his death told The Associated Press that Khashoggi's son, Salah, has been under a travel ban and barred from leaving the kingdom since a year ago as a result of his father's criticism of the government.

The crown prince has denied any involvement.

Her spokesman Steffen Seibert said Monday the government was still discussing internally whether ot not to bloc exports already authorised in recent months but not yet delivered.

The man in the video, identified by the official as Mustafa al-Madani, was allegedly part of what investigators have said was a hit squad, sent to kill the journalist at the Saudi consulate during a scheduled appointment to get papers for his upcoming wedding.




"At moments like this it is the job of a friend to tell the truth; and the truth is that the killing of Khashoggi was a barbaric act to which we in Britain refuse to turn a blind eye", Britain's former foreign minister, Boris Johnson, said on Twitter Monday.

Saudi authorities have said Khashoggi died in a "brawl" with Saudi officials at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2, the latest in a series of conflicting explanations for his death.

But any direct challenge to Prince Mohammed's succession "may be destabilizing for the kingdom as a whole", said Cinzia Bianco, a London-based analyst for Gulf State Analytics.

On Saturday Riyadh said he was killed in a fistfight in the consulate.

Turkish media quotes officials saying a team of 15 Saudis removed Khashoggi's fingers, killed him and dismembered him.

Saudi Arabia said 18 Saudi suspects were in custody and intelligence officials had been fired.

In a statement on Saturday, The Washington Post's publisher and chief executive, Fred Ryan, accused Saudi Arabia of repeatedly lying in the three weeks since Mr. Khashoggi's disappearance.

"I am not satisfied until we find the answer".

Last week, a total of 23 consulate employees had also spoken to the prosecutors.

There are limits to the kingdom's ability to respond, Al-Falih said.

Related Articles