A single Samsung Galaxy Note9 catches on fire and a lawsuit ensues

A single Samsung Galaxy Note9 catches on fire and a lawsuit ensues

A NY woman has launched a lawsuit against Samsung after her Galaxy Note 9 "became extremely hot" and began emitting thick smoke. Diane Chung, who is a real estate agent, has filed a lawsuit after her new unit spontaneously combusted on September 3 in her purse while she was in the elevator.

She placed it in her purse, but soon noticed smoke coming from the pouch. The smoke from the phone filled the elevator until she was able to get the door open and kick it into the lobby.

As per the lawsuit, Chung placed the bag on the elevator floor, as she attempted to pull out her smoking Samsung phone, burning her fingers in the process.

Samsung have taken a lot of measures with the safety of their batteries with not just the added safety check but also deliberately not pushing the envelope with battery size and/or charging speeds.

A couple years back, Samsung had a huge problem with faulty batteries causing one of its smartphones, the Galaxy Note 7, to occasionally catch fire. According to the New York Post, the company is reportedly investigating into the matter, though it has yet to be informed of similar cases of the Galaxy Note 9 catching fire. Calling the experience "traumatic", Chung's lawsuit states that she was unable to call clients, while the Samsung flagship also ruined the contents of her bag. She is seeking unspecified damages and a restraining order barring the sales of any Galaxy Note 9.




Another senior Samsung official Kate Beaumon had said that the latest Note 9 uses a newer cooling system for better heat dissipation.

After the Galaxy Note7's fiasco, Samsung had stepped up efforts to prevent such situations from reoccurring.

It looks like Note 9 plans to continue the legacy of Note 7 as a lawsuit about a potential fire has come to light.

In an email to PCMag, Samsung said it's looking into the incident. The Galaxy Note 9 has been launched in a number of markets around the world including India and has since received widespread praise.

Related Articles