North Korea says Pompeo talks 'regrettable'

North Korea says Pompeo talks 'regrettable'

Nevertheless, Mr. Pompeo left Pyongyang saying the two sides had made progress.

The North's Foreign Ministry said the "extremely regrettable" US attitude during the meeting violated the spirit of the agreement reached between Mr. Kim and President Donald Trump last month at their historic summit in Singapore.

Pompeo also insisted that Pyongyang was committed to broad denuclearisation and said that while some security guarantees could be on the table during the process, sanctions relief would not be.

North Korea called the outcome of the discussion "worrisome" and argued that the "cancerous issues" the U.S. delegation raised were the same ones that had "amplified" distrust and the risk of war with past administrations, resulting in previous talks ending in failure.

What did the State Department say?

Abe has made it a priority to resolve the issue of Japanese nationals abducted by North Korea in the 1970s and 1980s and has expressed a willingness to hold direct talks with North Korea even as questions remain over what a potential summit will yield.

In the days following his historic June 12 summit with Kim Jong Un in Singapore, Trump had announced that the return of the remains and the destruction of the missile facility had been completed or were in progress.

Blunt called the statement from North Korea "déjà vu" and "standard operating procedure", echoing the sentiments of numerous foreign policy experts.

And in a pointed message to North Korea, Graham said the USA has more powerful weapons than sanctions to keep the rogue regime in line - if necessary.

"These are complicated issues but we made progress on nearly all of the central issues".

Despite the obstacles, Pompeo said on Saturday that progress had been made in the talks."These are complicated issues but we made progress on nearly all of the central issues", Mr. Pompeo said before departing on Saturday.

Graham cited the ongoing trade war between Washington and Beijing as the possible motivation.




Rumors about the alleged unusual gift were sparked by a report in the South Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo on Friday.

"The North Koreans are in the game to get, not to give", said Daniel Russel, the top USA diplomat for East Asia until a year ago.

"We know it is a real possibility because we see how Vietnam has travelled this remarkable path", Mr Pompeo said.

"There will be a verification connected to the complete denuclearisation, it's what President Trump and Chairman Kim both agreed to", he added.

Mr Pompeo said Vietnam's experience since the normalisation of relations with the USA in 1995 should be proof for North Korea that prosperity and partnership with the U.S. is possible after decades of conflict and mistrust.

Sarah Clarke, reporting from South Korea's capital, Seoul, said that North Korea appeared to be unhappy following the high-level talks.

The official also mentioned that leader Kim Jong-un's letter for Trump was given to Pompeo, saying that he voiced confidence that the trust and friendship built through the Singapore meeting will deepen through talks that the two countries will have going forward.

Pompeo told reporters that the two sides "had many hours of productive conversations" to deliver the commitments made in the Singapore summit.

Washington and Pyongyang's different take on the outcome of the latest meeting pointed to discord as North Korea accused the United States of making unilateral and "gangster-like" demands.

"I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding", said CNN global affairs analyst Joseph Yun, a former top USA diplomat on North Korea policy.

On Sunday, the U.S. secretary of state will meet the foreign ministers of Japan and South Korea in Tokyo.

Related Articles